Have a question about how the TVTropes wiki works? No one knows this community better than the people in it, so ask away! Ask the Tropers is the page you come to when you have a question burning in your brain and the support pages didn't help. It's not for everything, though. For a list of all the resources for your questions, click here.
Ask the Tropers is for:
- • General questions about the wiki, how it works, and how to do things.
- • Reports of problems with wiki articles, or requests for help with wiki articles.
- • Reports of misbehavior or abuse by other tropers.
Ask the Tropers is not for:
- • Help identifying a trope. See TropeFinder.
- • Help identifying a work. See YouKnowThatShow.
- • Asking if a trope example is valid. See the Trope Talk forum.
- • Proposing new tropes. See TropeLaunchPad.
- • Making bug reports. See QueryBugs.
- • Asking for new wiki features. See QueryWishlist.
- • Chatting with other tropers. See our forums.
- • Reporting problems with advertisements. See this forum topic.
- • Reporting issues on the forums. Send a Holler instead.
Ask the Tropers:
Is there some kind of thread where I can go to request that a page (of my own creation) be deleted by mods?Edited by ilovewildkratts1
Fan-made content on main work pages
Over at AwesomeMusic.Encanto (courtesy link to page's edit history), treehugger0369 added an entry for a fan-made song that featured Dolores' voice actress on vocals. I removed it on 11 November, citing the rule (mentioned in several ATT threads) against putting fan works on the pages for their parent works. On 25 December, LegendsAvatar798 re-added the entry verbatim (with no edit reason).
So there's no edit war here since the two additions were by different editors, but does this fall afoul of the rule against fan works on the pages for their parent works, or does the participation of a cast member from the parent work make this an exception?Edited by mlsmithca
Uncommitted out ZCE not changed, also speculative troping.
Winning Pony just restored a ZCE entry on the Housepets! A-L tropes page without adding context to it. Asking permission to comment it out again without being charged with edit warring.
They also engaged in speculative troping on the same page, adding Everybody's Dead, Dave before the story arc has ended. ?Seems to be going this way? is the operative phrase in their entry.
I sent them a notifier about the second issue. If allowed to comment out the entry on the first issue, what?s the right notifier to send?
Link to edits: http://www.tickleme.info/pmwiki/article_history.php?article=Housepets.TropesAToL
Link to troper history: http://www.tickleme.info/pmwiki/el.php?findfor=WinningPony
Haven?t checked their edit history just yet, but will be doing so when time permits.
Thanks!Edited by BoltDMC
Can a trope be played "somewhat" straight?
Two questions Music
1. Could a Tear Jerker apply to something really happy (to make you cry tears of joy), or would it be considered Heartwarming?
2. I wrote this recently for the Starstylers page. Has my writing in terms of Awesome Music improved? Just making sure I'm doing this right. Starstylers
Potential GoneHorriblyWrong cleanup idea
In a Trope Talk thread, there was a discussion regarding the scope of Gone Horribly Wrong, a trope that details plans, usually scientific, that goes awry after some incident that creates the disaster. However, the PlayingWith.Gone Horribly Wrong page mentions that "Something fails in a disastrous manner.", a rather stark contrast to what the intention of the old trope was meant to be, in addition to a few mentions of the trope being used to describe plans in general but nothing related to science or technology.
Should the trope be open for a cleanup/misuse?
which title? Web Original
i?ve been planning on putting together a sandbox page for another EAS webseries i watch, but i?m? kind of confused on what to title it. the series in question is compacted into a playlist with the (subtitled) given name of Red Iris Timeline but later videos in this series(? timeline?) are part of the creator?s upcoming Flashpoint series and are also titled as such.
so? what do?
Edit warring troper
In Literature.Unwind, Snowsky re-added an Up to Eleven link after it was removed.
- Snowsky adds the edit with said link.
- wootzits removes the link due to it being a disambiguation.
- Snowsky adds it back.
Regarding quality upgrades and edit tags. Videogame
I have an image that could serve as a quality upgrade to the current one on Video Game.The Sims 1. From what I know, quality upgrades don't need IP discussion, but the current image is tagged as having been chosen in an IP thread. Do I have to start a new thread or do something else to replace a tagged image, or can I just go ahead and change it?Edited by Inky100
How many examples does a Referenced By page need?
I though Referenced by... pages needed at least three examples, like every other kind of page, but then ReferencedBy.Space Quest got deleted despite having that number. So what is the minimum number?
I should be asleep rn so I'm too tired to figure out "where" this "should" go so i'm just waving botheredly in its general direction
- Berrenta removes the 10% Sturgeon's Law gag on FanficRecs.Miraculous Ladybug citing that it is now IUEO
- Danky Croodle puts it back, essentially unmodified (but now including the Main namespace in the wick for some reason so it wasn't copy pasted but it's otherwise identical but it's an obvious sort of gag they could have "invented" whatever idk)
it's not an edit war yet but it just. that ain't right right? the TRS thread did settle on removing those gags
I came too late to the discussion (save your jokes) but, do we have a trope for "in-universe" versions of speedrunning? In certain ovo188 it's called "Time Attack", in others "Beat the time", in others "Par time", and so on.Edited by AM_NK
Crosswicking or linking to a larger page?
A trend I've noticed in YMMV pages, for Star Wars Legends stories in particular, is that examples of Hilarious in Hindsight or Harsher in Hindsight instead link to dedicated pages of HilariousInHindsight.Star Wars Legends and HarsherInHindsight.Star Wars Legends. In doing so, this leads to YMMV pages feel oddly blank with "Go here" links instead of the actual example. Is this site policy, or something that should be avoided?Edited by harryhenry
What Are the Limits of the Personal and Wiki Sandbox?
I ask because I want to is experiment with the organization of my characters for a fic to make something like The Simpsons character page with subpages and stuff (it really needs them). I don't know if that's allowed on a Personal Sandbox or on the Wiki Sandbox or how I should go about experimenting if it isn't.Edited by ISS600
Can ShoutOut pages have images
I've never seen a Shout-Out page with an image so I'm wondering if they're just not allowed to have images.
Following this ATT, where concerns over an entry by theawakecrow2022 on Trivia.The Simpsons S 3 E 1 Stark Raving Dad were raised. It was deleted per consensus on the ATT query, but theawakecrow2022 has persisted in edit warring it back in under different wording:Edited by laserviking42
Theawakecrow 2022 recently added this to The Simpsons S3 E1 "Stark Raving Dad" here:
- In a March 2019 interview with The Daily Beast, "The Simpsons" showrunner Al Jean says he believes - just after seeing once the debunked controversial, manipulated, unreliable and defamatory documentary film "Leaving Neverland" - that part of the reason Jackson agreed to appear in the episode is because the show appealed to a young demographic and therefore could be used to help Jackson groom boys. He said that while he doesn't have any proof - and Jackson was never found guilty of any allegations and always found innocent - it is his belief and one of the reasons why he supported removing the episode from syndication, streaming and future DVD releases. Fans started since then to boycott the TV series in masses, and Micheal Jackson's estate sued those involved in the creation and release of "Leaving Neverland". Plus, there are other episodes with Micheal Jackson appearing physically unlike "Stark Raving Dead" (this one also recognized as one of the very best episodes in the series), but they strangely haven't been pulled from circulation.
Looking through their history, I also found a rather complainy edits on the trivia page for Sponge Bob Square Pants S 3 E 15 The Great Snail Race Mid Life Crustacean.
Edit history for the troper in question.Edited by fragglelover
Names the Same
Why was it necessary to remove Name'sTheSame? It already had a very comprehensive list of the many shared names in fiction and beyond only for it to be removed. I would like to see it back Please.
Rules for making pages of your own works
I wish to make a page for my fanfic so I can move it out of the Darth Wiki namespace, since it is now a published official work. I know one rule surrounding making your own works is that you cannot make a YMMV subpage for it, but are there any other rules or just general advice I should know about before making the page?